Employee relations and staff consultations
What is employee relations?
Employee Relations is the term which covers the relationship between an employee and the business. Good employee relations activity helps line managers to establish trust-based relationships with their employees. High levels of employee involvement, commitment and engagement can help a business to meet its objectives, achieve a positive working relationship between employee and employer and can also assist with employee wellbeing.
In order to maintain a positive relationship between employee and employer, it is important that any major change programmes are managed effectively.
Consulting with employees about important issues you are facing as a business is important in maintaining employee relations. One way of consulting with employees is to have a Staff Consultation Committee made up of employee representatives. This will enable the business to:
- receive information from and give information to management and the workforce
- pass on information more widely within the workforce
- consult employees over certain workplace matters.
As an employer, you also have some legal duties to consult with employee representatives, for example in large scale redundancies or business transfers. Having a staff consultation committee is particularly helpful if you do not recognize any trade unions.
At Ashtons HR Consulting, we can support you as follows:
- assisting you in setting up a staff consultation committee, training the members and ensuring the committee works effectively
- advising and assisting you in any specific employee relations issues you have
- reviewing your current consultation arrangements to ensure they are effective and meet the needs of the business
- developing employee engagement.
If you would like any help, support and guidance on employee relations or staff consultation, please contact Ashtons on 0333 222 0989, complete our online enquiry form or email email@example.com.